How long will it take?
How long it will take from your offer being accepted until you can move in to your house will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 16-20 weeks.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if you are a first-time buyer, purchasing a new build property with a mortgage in principle, this will be as per the developer’s time scale. We will keep you informed of progress throughout, explain the reasons for any delays and advise you if any additional unforeseen work becomes necessary.
However, if you are buying a leasehold property that requires an extension of the lease, this can take significantly longer, between 3 and 5 months. In such, a situation additional charges would apply
Stages of the process
The precise stages involved in the purchase of a residential leasehold property vary according to the circumstances. However, below we have suggested some key stages that you may wish to include:
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Check finances are in place to fund purchase and contact lender's solicitors if needed
- Receive and advise on contract documents
- Carry out searches
- Obtain further planning documentation if required
- Make any necessary enquiries of seller's solicitor
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Go through conditions of mortgage offer
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Draft Transfer
- Advise you on joint ownership
- Obtain pre-completion searches
- Agree completion date (date from which you own the property)
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened
- Arrange for all monies needed to be received from lender and you
- Complete purchase
- Deal with payment of Stamp Duty/Land Tax
- Deal with application for registration at Land Registry
How much will it cost?
Our fees cover all the work required to complete the purchase of your new home, including dealing with registration at the Land Registry and dealing with the payment of Stamp Duty Land Tax (Stamp Duty) if the property is in England, or Land Transaction Tax (Land Tax) if the property is in Wales.
An example of our fees based on a direct leasehold purchase transaction, in Bridlington at a purchase price of £125,000 with no mortgage would cost: -
Conveyancer's fees & Disbursements
- Legal fee: £799.00*
- Search fees: £300.00
- HM Land Registry fee – this is worked out based on the purchase price of the property you are purchasing. You can work out the amount you will have to pay by using the Land Registry website here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hm-land-registry-registration-services-fees#scale-1-fees
- Electronic money transfer fee: £35.00*
- Identification Fee: £10.00*
- Stamp Duty Return Fee: £75.00*
- Case Management Fee: £25.00*
- Archive Fee: £30.00*
- Postage and Copying Fee: £10.00*
- Accounts and Entity Fee: £10.00*
- Final Searches: £10.00
- Subtotal: £1,304.00
VAT is payable on all of the figures quoted above marked with a *
Estimated total: £1,502.80 (inc VAT)
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as search fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. There are certain disbursements which will be set out in the individual lease relating to the Property. The disbursements which we anticipate will apply are set out separately below. This list is not exhaustive and other disbursements may apply depending on the term of the lease. We will update you on the specific fees upon receipt and review of the lease from the seller's solicitors.
- Notice of Transfer fee – This fee if chargeable is set out in the lease. Often the fee is between £50.00 and £200.00.
- Notice of Charge fee (if the property is to be mortgaged) – This fee is set out in the lease. Often the fee is between £50.00 and £200.00
- Deed of Covenant fee – This fee is provided by the management company for the property and can be difficult to estimate. Often it is between £120.00 and £300.00.
- Certificate of Compliance fee - To be confirmed upon receipt of the lease, as can range between £120.00 and £300.00.
**These fees vary from property to property and can on occasion be significantly more than the ranges given above. We can give you an accurate figure once we have sight of your specific documents.
You should also be aware that ground rent and service charge are likely to apply throughout your ownership of the property. We will confirm the ground rent and the anticipated service charge as soon as this we receive this information.
Stamp Duty Land Tax
This depends on the purchase price of your property. You can calculate the amount you will need to pay by using HMRC's website https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/calculate-stamp-duty-land-tax/#/intro or if the property is located in Wales by using the Welsh Revenue Authority's website here https://lttcalculator.wra.gov.wales/ChargeableTransactionType.
Our fee assumes that:
- this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction
- this is the assignment of an existing lease and is not the grant of a new lease
- the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complication arise
- all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from third parties providing documentation
- no indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may apply if indemnity policies are required.
To Tom & all of the Murray Hills team, thank you for all of your efforts. You have all been great and made our move as smooth as possible. Many thanks
Mr & Mrs J
A thank you card received at our Bridlington office
We are highly satisfied with the service we received
Mr & Mrs F
Bridlington office clients