How long will my house sale take?
How long it will take from you accepting an offer on your house until completion will depend on a number of factors. The average process takes between 6-10 weeks.
It can be quicker or slower, depending on the parties in the chain. For example, if your buyers are first time buyers, purchasing with a mortgage in principle. We will keep you informed of progress throughout, explain the reasons for any delays and advise you if any additional unforeseen work becomes necessary.
Stages of the process
The precise stages involved in the sale of a residential property vary according to the circumstances. However, below we have suggested some key stages that you may wish to include:
- Take your instructions and give you initial advice
- Supplying information to you and those involved with the transaction
- Checking the title of the property you are selling
- Dealing with questions and enquiries raised by your buyer’s Solicitors
- Approving the transfer deed to the buyers
- Reporting and providing information to you relating to the property you are selling
- Give you advice on all documents and information received
- Send final contract to you for signature
- Agree completion date (date from which you sell the property)
- Exchange contracts and notify you that this has happened, following any necessary negotiations on the terms
- Completing your sale and accounting to you for the proceeds or receiving from you any monies required to complete the sale
- Dealing with all post-completion matters, particularly repaying any outstanding mortgages or loans
How much will it cost?
Our fees cover all of the work required to complete the sale of your home.
An example of our fees is given below; based on a direct freehold sale transaction in Bridlington at a sale price of £125,000 without a mortgage :-
Conveyancer's fees & Disbursements
Legal fees: £599.00*
Electronic money transfer fee: £35.00*
Identification Fee: £10.00*
Case Management Fee: £25.00*
Archive Fee: £30.00*
Postage and Copying Fee: £10.00*
Office Copy Entries: £16.00
VAT is payable on all of the figures quoted above marked with a *
Estimated total: £866.80 (inc VAT)
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as Land Registry fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. This is not an exhaustive list and more unusual or none standard transactions can attract further disbursements, we will update you on any additional disbursements upon receipt of all documents
Our fee assumes that:
- this is a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which requires remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction
- this is the assignment of an existing lease and is not the grant of a new lease
- the transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complication arise
- all parties to the transaction are co-operative and there is no unreasonable delay from third parties providing documentation
- no indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may apply if indemnity policies are required.
To Tom & all of the Murray Hills team, thank you for all of your efforts. You have all been great and made our move as smooth as possible. Many thanks
Mr & Mrs J
A thank you card received at our Bridlington office
We are highly satisfied with the service we received
Mr & Mrs F
Bridlington office clients